The Petřín Lookout Tower(Czech: Petřínská rozhledna) is a 60 metre high steel framework tower in Prague, which strongly resembles the Eiffel Tower. Although it is much shorter than the Eiffel Tower, it stands atop a sizable hill, Petřín, so the top is actually at a higher altitude than that of the Eiffel Tower.
The Petřínská rozhledna was built in 1891 and was used as an observation tower as well as a transmission tower. Today the Petřínská rozhledna is a major tourist attraction. If you go up the hard way, the hill is roughly a half-hour walk up paths that get quite slippery when it snows, and the tower is a shorter but fairly tiring climb; however, the hill is served by a frequent funicular and the tower has an elevator for disabled persons.On clear days, the tower offers a good view of thePragueskyline.
It is open from 10am to 7-10pm every day from April to October and only at weekends from November to March, from 10am to 5pm. There is a gift shop and a small cafeteria on the main level. On the lowest level is a small museum of Jára Cimrman. In contrast to the Eiffel Tower, Petřínská rozhledna has an octagonal and not a square cross section over its whole height. Further, it does not stand, as does the Eiffel Tower, on four columns of lattice steel. However in contrast to both towers the whole area under its legs is covered with the entrance hall. A similarity between the Eiffel Tower and Petřínská rozhledna is the design of the lowest cross beams in the form of round bows.
The two observation platforms are accessible via lifts and stairs, with 299 stairs in sections of 13 per stage running around the inside of the structuring. A nominal entrance fee of 100 CZK (4 euros) and 50 CZK for students and senior citizens over 65 is payable at the kiosk at the foot of the tower to access the observation platforms.
The Strahov Monastery (Strahovsky Klaster) started its long itinerary through history with establishment of the Premonstratensians, a religious order of canons founded in 1120 by St Norbert as an independent part of the Catholic church.
By the year 1182 a Romanesque stone monastery was built on the place of an older foundation of Prince Vladislav II (from 1140). It’s peace was disturbed by a fire in 1258, when the church was destructed almost totally. A reconstruction in the Gothic style followed, but that was not to last either, as Baroque retouches were added during the beginning of the 18th century. In the meanwhile the abbey was plundered first by the Hussites and during the Thirty Years’ War by a regiment of the Swedish army. The last but not least hit that the abbey had to take was the bombardment of the church’s premises by the French, in 1742. After the Communist regime ended, the abbey was returned to the Premonstratensians in 1989. The Strahov Monastery it is not only an active place of pilgrimage but also a valuable museum and a famous library, still holding an unbelievable number of rare volumes.
Enjoy the video.
Checkout our other Prague outdoor videos.